Tuesday, October 21, 2008

First audition since I graduated High School today at the Northside Theatre Company. I must say, I really was nervous as I arrived in the parking lot. It was not because of any fear of being on stage, but simply because I did not feel well-prepared for my monologues. However, the director was a doll and allowed me to use the scripts.

I have the unintentional habit of speeding up the monologues as I perform them. In front of a mirror, I can summon a lot of emotion and make it seem more realistic and lengthen the duration. But on stage, I seem to forget it all when it comes to speaking in front of the director. I need to snap out of that. After all was said and done, he told me to come back tomorrow for callbacks at 6:30pm to read with other people. This is my favorite part of an audition: the people.

Theater means a ton of emotion and exaggeration. And as I do believe my capacity can reach that height of extravagence, I prefer subtle, more realistic movements and facial expressions that are in Television and Feature Films. As I was telling DJ earlier today ( by the way, you're welcome ) I want to be in movies and TV shows because I want to act. Not for the substantial monetary payment for doing so. Honestly though, life is too short to persue a career in anything other than what you are passionate about.

Gym Class Heroes put it best when they say, "Shoot down the stars."

No comments: