Wednesday, October 22, 2008

So call backs were today. I did not know what to expect from it, for it is my first real audition for a play hosted by a theater company. If you've read the last blog, then you would know that I thought the director was extremely nice. Which he absolutely was. I was the first one to arrive at the theater, and as more and more people walked in, I noticed something they all had in common. They are white. The director was also white. As well as the assistant. I could not help but feel intimidated by this all. My thoughts wondered into thinking I would not be cast solely for the ethnicity I am. Though throughout the whole time, I kept my confidence, and knew I was just as good, if not better, than these other girls who have been doing this for years.

I looked back at how I felt intimidated and realized how ridiculous I was being. I had absolutely no reason to be afraid of these people. They are what they are. Just people. Like you and I. And yet, I automatically assumed that they were going to be racist and pick everyone but me.

It's amazing how strong the power of stereotype is. And how immense the role of society has in our minds, let alone our lives. I've been caught red-handed falling into the tricks of stereotyping. "White people are racist." I love to not believe so. There is no connection with being white and being racist. There is a correlation. But no causality that a white person is racist. All races are racist. And why do we make such a big deal out of white people? In the modern day? It's a pity that we still cannot get over the fact that stereotypes and generalizations of people are not for everyone.

The human being is a very complex creature. There are no two people that are the same. And yet we tend to put everyone in groups with the same characteristics, believing it is universal to the group as a whole. I am not a saint. I do stereotype. I do it everyday. We can't help but do so, it's just how we grew up. And being exposed to these things so many times, we are conditioned the way society sees it. But what I wonder is if people look back into what they have said or thought or seen, and realize that they have been victimized by social norms. How can one not see that by stereotyping, you are stripping their individuality? Not allowing them to be who they are, but what society foresees them as? It's a very practical civil right to live and let live. And yet it's the one that most are ignorant of.

And then there is the term, "That's gay." I have been hearing it more and more lately. The thing is, I don't mind so much hearing it, but the fact that I don't say anything is what bothers me. I hate the term since Camp Everytown a year ago. Everytime you say it in that way, you are putting a negative connotation to the term. Nobody realizes it, of course. It's just another term in place of stupid, dumb, sucks, etc. But that's just it. A term meaning happy and a person attracted to the same sex used in place of words meant to put something or someone down. How is there a connection between that? Using it in a sentence like so enforces the connection. How would you guys feel if we used the phrase, "That's so girl!" or "That's so man!" or even "That's so Mexican!"
It's all the same. Thinkaboutit.

I know this was a long blog, but I highly appreciate my readers for following it. Shout out to Danny! And to the rest of you, please. Take time to think about things. Live and let live.

No comments: