Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I am very ashamed of myself. I procrastinated on registering to vote, and the consequence of that is not being able to vote for this year's election. So to make up for it, I joined the Students For Justice club to voice out my opinions and what I stand for. If you are registered, I urge you to vote:

YES on Prop 2- Standards For Confining Farm Animals.
This allows the humane way to let the animals live. Many chickens are confined into small cages that they cannot turn around in, forced to lay eggs all day. Cows have no pastures to run on, no room to breathe. We already kill enough of these poor animals for our dietary pleasures; why must we treat them horrendously when they live as well?

NO on Prop 4 - Parental Notification and Waiting Period Abortions.
Minors should not be forced to notify their parents of their abortions. They made a conscious decision to have unprotected sex, so they should decide on how to handle their pregnancy. I promise you, this will save more lives than you can imagine.

NO on Prop 6 - The Runner Initiative.
This allows the punishment of youths aged 14 and over to be punished as an adult. The one thing that differentiates kids and adults is the concept of kids not being able to make their own decisions. They are learning. They make mistakes to learn. Give them some slack.

NO on Prop 8 - Constitutional Amendment Banning Gay Marriage.
Really? Really. The constitution holds the laws concerning the rights and equality of all Americans. How is stripping the LGB community's right to marry constitutional? Everyone is allowed to speak their own voice, do their own acts, make their own decisions on who they want to be with for the rest of their lives. Everyone against them needs to take a step back and look at themselves. How are they any different from Nazis against Jews? KKK against blacks? What gives them the right to tell another person what to do with their lives?

And last but not least.. VOTE OBAMA in 2008!


I feel sad when people do not take voting seriously. Especially women. We fought so hard for women's suffrage. We must take advantage of that. The free speeches at the Campus Center today were striking. But as I looked over at passerbys with no care in the world of what they were talking about, I couldn't help but think down on them. There are very few leaders in this world. And very few people willing to stand up for what's right when compared to the vast population. I choose to stand. I choose to fight. I choose to be what is right.

No comments: