Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I really cannot wait to live and go to school in the big city of San Francisco in 1.5 years. Three of my lucky friends were with me yesterday when I was first exposed to some of the most densely populated areas of the city. (i.e. Union Square, Thrift Town) My past experiences with the city involved visiting the Pier once or twice when I was much younger, and much more visits to China Town. By the way, the Golden Gate Bakery is superb as far as Asian pastries go. Highly recommended, though be forewarned because there is usually a long line trailing out the small shop.

Union Square is amazing from the structure, to the large variety of shopping experiences, to the Food Emporium with their televised and/or projected menus. I spent two hours in Forever 21 alone. I had no idea it was three stories. This made me wish I had discovered this place sooner. What I find most compelling about it was all the people. From the top level of Forever 21 looking down, I saw all sorts of women, and a few men following, shopping. From big to small to having impeccable fashion sense to being a walking clothing disaster, there were all sorts of women from different backgrounds. As I awaited in line for the dressing room, the women behind me had an Irish accent. Now how often do you hear that?

Despite the fact that traffic is ridiculous and the streets will take months of getting used to, this city is such a sight to see. I love people. And as stupid as some pedestrians are when crossing streets, the colossal amount of people there just compels me further to spend more time in it.

I must say though, some of my most favorite places would have to be the "ghetto" areas. No, not because I enjoy getting jumped in dark alleyways, but for the artwork. Passing by this abandoned gas station, there was a part of one of the columns that was painted. It was a painting of Obama and the word "progress" underneath. The graffiti is also sublime. It's amazing to see what a few cans of spray paint can create.

Just wait, in a few years, I'll be taking this city by storm.

No comments: